Saturday, May 16, 2020

Blog #35 - Athena Bardis - Period 7 - 5/15/2020

5/15/20
Athena Bardis, Period 7
Sophomores 2020

Blog #35

Aim: How does language construct and impact thought?
Do Now: With your partner, choose a word from each column to form your own Shakespearean Insult. Repeat the process to create a second insult. Begin with “Thou,” then hurl the phrase at the unsuspecting bystander.  Lastly, once your insults are created, translate them into modern English.
In the do now, we were given 3 columns of  Shakespearean words, and had to create an insult using one word from each column. Once we finished sharing our Shakespearean insults, we went on to discussing these four questions:
  1. How difficult was it to create the insult? Why/Why Not?
  2. How important is your understanding of the words in Shakespearean language to ensure your message is accurate?
  3. Is it fair to say that due to your limited knowledge of language, during Shakespeare’s times, your ability to get across what you were truly trying to say may have been hindered?
  4. Did you find that to create the translation, you may have had to use more simple-language (basic words) for your translation?

What Did I Learn?

In class I learned the power and importance of language. It is so much more than just a way of communication. It is a form of freedom. Language gives us the power to think for ourselves and have our own feelings and beliefs. 

My class decided that creating an insult was challenging because we had a limited understanding of the words. Simplifying the insults definitely made them easier to understand. It is important to know the meaning of the words because without knowing the definition, it is hard to put together an insult that actually makes sense. Shakespeare is known for using certain figures of speech and hiding specific meanings in his writing. If you can’t fully  understand something, then its true meaning could get lost in translation.

After discussing the do now, we began to speak about the book 1984. We were assigned to read the first chapter. 1984 takes place in Oceania, which was a totalitarian society led by Big Brother. Newspeak is the language that is spoken in Oceania. Newspeak is a heavily modified version of English with much less vocabulary. It was developed to limit the range of thought. By limiting the public’s ability to think, the government was able to prevent them from thinking negative thoughts about the government. The language limited people’s free thought and free speech. We were able to connect this to the do now activity. When we translated the words, we left out a lot of important details. This is similar to Newspeak because the language only includes basic necessities. This leads to very important words getting left out, and those missing words could change the entire meaning of a sentence.


Why Did I Learn It?
Today's lesson was not only important in order to understand the situation in the book. It was also meant to teach us the importance of language. We are fortunate enough to have the power to speak and learn languages. In Oceania, the government used Newspeak to have complete control over their people’s thoughts. Learning about the study of language will help us understand the effect of Newspeak as we continue reading.

How Will I Use What I Learned?
I will use what I learned as we continue with the book. After the lesson, I realized the importance of language. As we go on with the book, I will pay close attention to how Newspeak prevents the characters from having their own thoughts. In addition, I can apply the lesson to my own life. There are an unlimited amount of words in the English language, and I would love to enhance my vocabulary in order to convey my thoughts and ideas easily.
What is it like working from home?
Working from home is very different. All my life, I was used to learning in a classroom surrounded by teachers and peers that could always help me. Now, I am stuck home alone teaching myself. I appreciate the fact that many of my teachers do virtual lessons and try to make it feel as if we were still in the classroom.  I will admit, I don’t mind being able to “attend school” in bed in my pajamas, but I really miss having a routine. I never thought that I would miss waking up at 6:15 and getting on a bus to go to school. I do enjoy that I get a lot more freetime now, and it gives me more time to not only focus on my work, but also take up some new hobbies.
My Personal Feelings and Thoughts About What is Happening Right Now:
I honestly feel like I am reliving the same day over and over again. I try to stay positive and think of things that I can look forward to, but everytime I think of something, the quarantine gets pushed back and I have to cancel whatever it was that I was looking forward to. I miss my friends and my family so much, but I know that I am keeping them safe by not seeing them. This whole pandemic has just made me realize how important the little things in life are. Of course, we are fortunate enough to have devices where we can video chat our friends and family, but it is not the same at all. This virus has made me regret the times where I was on my phone while visiting my grandma or when I canceled plans with friends. Now all I want to do is go outside and enjoy the nice weather with my friends and family. What upsets me even more is that I won’t be able to go to Greece this summer. I have been going to Greece every summer since I was born. When I think about not being able to see my cousins and close friends there this summer, I get so upset. However, this virus is very serious and I understand why I need to stay here. My main concern is the wellbeing of everyone. 
What are you learning about the world/community based on the reactions?
The Corona Virus has had a big effect on people’s mental health. Many people are having a difficult time dealing with the isolation. Children and teenagers are experiencing a lot of anxiety and depression because they are not able to interact with their peers. They do not have an outlet such as sports, the arts, etc. Their life has become monotonous. Some are turning to drugs and alcohol while others have gone to the extent of taking their life. It is not just children that are tired of being cooped up at home. The elderly are feeling the isolation as well. Some have not seen their children and grandchildren since the quarantine started. Being that they are most vulnerable, many have not even been outside. This pandemic reinforces the importance of social interaction. 

No comments:

Post a Comment