Wednesday, May 6, 2020

Blog #27 - Caroline Seifen - Period 7 - 5/5/2020

Blog #27, Caroline Seifen, PD7, 5/5/20,Sophomores 2020

Aim: How can the perception that Animal Farm is a Fable be demonstrated in our original fable visual representation & oral presentation project?

Preview
The goal of today’s lesson was to present the original fables that we had written in March. Along with the creation of the fable, we were required to explain the moral as well as how it was evident in our fables. In addition, we created a visual component to accompany our original fable.

Notable Fables

Presenter: Steven Mantello
Moral: Do not put yourself in danger for the profit of others.
Summary: In this fable, there is a goat, horse, and camel. To briefly summarize, one day, the camel asked the horse to retrieve a bag of items from the bottom of the cliff for him. Though the horse was hesitant at first, he eventually caved, even after receiving a warning from the goat. However, this decision was detrimental, as he ended up falling and injuring himself. Steven made it very clear that the moral indicates to us that we should not put ourselves in danger if the other person has ONLY something to gain and NOT to lose. In this situation, the horse put himself in danger to acquire the bag of items even though the camel had nothing to lose, only to gain. 

Presenter: Stella Vayner
Moral: A person that is discontented in one place will seldom be happy in another. 
Summary: The story begins with a sheep living in a farm that he truly dislikes. One morning, he sees a chicken and a pig leave the farm, wondering where they have gone. He keeps complaining to a goat, claiming that he would also like to leave. The next day, the farmer comes in looking for another animal. This time, however, the sheep volunteers to leave with him. The farmer ends up taking the sheep to the slaughterhouse, and the sheep realizes he was far happier before at the farm. In this fable, the sheep was discontented in the place he was in, and continued to wish he was somewhere else. However, the “other place” he wished to be did not make him happier at all. 

Presenter: Daniel Tung
Moral: Use is better than ornament.
Summary: The story revolves around a rather prideful peacock. This peacock loves his feathers, believing they make him superior. One day, as the peacock is admiring himself, the wolf approaches and traps him. The wolf threatens the peacock, making him decide between giving up one of his feathers or being eaten by the wolf. Surprisingly, the peacock decides that he would rather lose his life than use his feathers. The fable emphasizes that though ornament, outside appearance, is favorable, it is far less important than usefulness. In the peacock’s case, he did the exact opposite, which resulted in his death. Thus, it would have been far more beneficial for him had he used his feathers rather than keep them for his beauty. The image is Daniel’s illustration of the peacock’s feather in the wolf's mouth.

Presenter: Athena Bardis
Moral: Beauty is only skin deep.
Summary: The story begins with two cats: one gorgeous cat named Charlotte that was envied by all and one rather ugly one that wished to look different. In this fable, the ugly cat approaches the beautiful one, asking her what she should do to become as beautiful as her. Instead of kindly responding, Charlotte rudely replies, claiming that she will never be like her. At this point, the outwardly ugly cat walks away, realizing that she would never want to be anything like Charlotte. The fable does a great job emphasizing the moral. The “ugly cat” finally understood that this outward beauty that Charlotte possessed was truly only skin deep. She was far more content to have the inward beauty of her personality.

Thoughts

What is it like working from home?
By now, I feel as though I have thoroughly adapted to my new schedule. In the beginning, it was rather unstable as I did not know how to manage my day correctly. In terms of remote learning, it has thus far gone smoothly. I feel as though I have complete control of the day’s events, which is something that helps me stay organized. Working from home has both its highs and lows. For example, I have some extra time to work on my own personal projects. Additionally, I have less pressure in terms of timing, which is very relieving. However, I also sometimes get lazy or distracted, and begin to procrastinate which obviously has its downfalls. Nonetheless, working from home is definitely a new method for me, but I am trying to make it work. 

What are your own personal feelings and thoughts about what is happening right now?
The situation that is happening right now is a very confusing, scary, and unstable time. It seems that the whole world has turned upside down. Personally, I’m gradually adapting to this whole situation, though it has taken some getting used to. Nonetheless, everyday when I read the different kinds of news and other statistics regarding coronavirus, I sometimes get nervous. Just recently, however, certain states started reopening their economies, which could be both beneficial and detrimental. It all really depends on what condition that state is in. Additionally, I don’t really like how everything is getting very political as it really just causes far more division in a time where unity is needed. 

What are you learning about your world/community based on the reactions?
Based on the reactions and responses by other people, I am learning that in tough times, we have become unified as humans. It is really nice to see how people have found different ways to recognize those working on the front lines. Whether it is through online music “festivals”, simply tweeting something in social media, or singing from the balconies, we have come together to support those who need it most. Thus it is evident that in dire times, though there is still strife, the world community seems to come together to aid each other and help a neighbor.

REFLECTION
After today’s lesson and presentations, I learned about the diversity of fables and how unique they can be. All the different, original fables each with their own accompanying moral established the creativity it requires to write a fable. Additionally, after writing and presenting my own fable, I fully learned and comprehended how Animal Farm can also be considered a fable. With talking animals, no happy ending, and a moral to go along, I can clearly see the parallels between the class’s fables and George Orwell’s Animal Farm. There was great importance in learning about my classes’ fables and the creativity of it as it allowed me to understand the effort required to make a fable. Moreover, the lesson and presentations were more than just a story, as they taught a moral and “life lesson” that can be applied and learned in our daily lives. Personally, my fable allowed me to comprehend the thoroughness put into a fable, and the necessity of fables as lessons. Also, presenting my fable helped me with speaking skills and relaying information. I will use what I have learned today through my presentation and my classmates’ presentations as a way to write more creative, meaningful stories. After viewing my classmates’ fables, I was really impressed, and will try to use this as a way to improve and expand on my own story writing. I will also use my presentation today as a way to continue building my speaking skills and advancing my storytelling. Storytelling is such an important part of life, thus it is important that I use what I have learned to advance this skill. 

No comments:

Post a Comment